Roland Poska was born in Scotland in 1938 to parents of Lithuanian descent; Poska received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Rockford College in 1961 and a Master of Fine Arts degree from Cranbrook Academy of Art in Michigan. It was while he was a senior at Cranbrook that Poska first made paper with Lawrence Barker, then head of the printmaking department. Roland was an Art Instructor at Rockford College from 1963-1964, and the Layton School of Art and Design, Milwaukee WI from 1965-1974, Roland was the Head of Printmaking at Milwaukee School of Art and Design, Milwaukee, from 1974-1976, and was a Co-founder of that school. Roland founded and managed Fishy Whale Publishing in Rockford IL, established 1961, and is still publishing to date.
From a dry deckle edge of a handmade sheet of paper,
the idea began to grow.
Perhaps everything in the universe, indeed the universe itself,
is the result of forces forever meeting, or parting.
Where forces meet, or part.
From this eternal process,
everything springs eternal.
It is from what is unseen that everything manifests
itself in continuous shifting forms.
We Meet, We Grow, And We Part.
From nothing to something, the first is incomprehensible,
but, so is the second,
the process of creation.
Roland Poska 2012
- Scottsdale Center for the Arts, AZ
- Milwaukee Art Museum, Milwaukee WI
- Chicago Art Institute, Chicago IL
- Racine Art Museum, Racine WI
- Beloit College Art Museum, Beloit WI
- Freeport Art Museum, Freeport IL
- Rockford Art Museum, Rockford IL
- Creighton University Collection, Omaha, NE
- Northwestern University, Chicago IL
- Mayo Clinic Collection, Rochester MN
- University of WI Collection, Madison WI
- Quad Graphics Collection, Milwaukee WI
- Kasch Company, Milwaukee WI
- MetLife, St. Louis MO